March 22, 2011

The Garrulous Mallam

I've been getting some comments and reactions to my posts and I really appreciate them (did I forget to mention criticisms too? I now feel like a blogger). This would be the last piece on the presidential debate and it's about Mallam Nuhu Ribadu the ACN  candidate who could not just stop talking. Clad in a white native attire, the Mallam was the best "talker" of the night. He couldn't just keep to time. It had it's negative side because he was the only one that was cautioned by the moderator and booed by the audience.

On the night, I believe he was the most eloquent and the most prepared (or even over prepared) but that doesn't mean you have to go against the rules of the debate. I believe if he wins the race he'll become another Fidel Castro and Moammar Gaddafi when it comes to UN general assembly speeches (if you don't know what I'm talking about, google "longest UN general assembly speeches") but unlike those two dictators, he has something cogent and reasonable to offer.

Mallam Nuhu Ribadu
There is nothing much to say his principles because they were reasonable but I have a problem with the way he was attacking the other candidates. Statements like "some people have been retired for 25 years while some of us have been working for the past 25 years" (was refering to Gen. Buhari) and "some of us have the global experience while some have not yet left the local level" (reffering to the Kano state Governor, Ibrahim Shekarau) were constantly resonating from his podium.

I believe that was poor judgement on his path. Looking at it very well, you came well "loaded" to the debate, why waste your precious little time being sarcastic and not laying down your ideas? I agree with his idea that Nigeria needs younger leaders. I think its time for young people to take active roles in politics in Nigeria (so all of you that are on strike, go and buy nimination forms). Most of the world leaders are not above 60 years old (unlike most of our presidential candidates). The old men need to rest.

But seriously… NIGERIA NEEDS YOUNG PEOPLE IN POLITICS!

2 comments:

  1. many polls declared Shekarau the winner! Ribadu is out spoken but i preferred the Governor's delivery. It was like the VP debate.Barrister Bakare delivery was well articulated. Pastoral experience!

    His referral to the other candidates were to further paint a vivid picture of why he is the right candidate. It was a good way to end to me

    We need young people in govt for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right on point!!!!

    ReplyDelete