March 21, 2011

The Insensitive Governor

Back to the presidential debate (I know some of you are tired of this but I'll just put one more post after this. Happy now?), I was awe struck at the attire one of the candidates was adorned in because it looked like a piece of tie-dye that I did I my JSS 3 in Fine Arts (ironically I got the highest mark for my "great" piece of art). I'm talking of no other person but Gov. Ibrahim Shekarau. Of all colours to wear, it was bright yellow that he decided to wear and he looked like a caricature when standing amidst his well clad opponents (I started to wonder if its against the Sharia law to have a wardrobe advisor).

Gov. Ibrahim Shekarau
Let's leave his clothes alone and focus on the man and his principles. During the debate, he was asked why he stopped the polio immunizations in Kano state (the state in which he is the Governor). I was shocked and it was as if I did not hear the question well (The Governor probably did not hear the question because he asked the moderator to repeat it). I started to think, what in the devil's vocabulary would stop a sane man to stop the immunization of babies in this time and age? He was giving some reasons (or excuses) but all of them were sounding like "blah blah blah blah blah…".

An Immunization worker (obviously not in Kano State)
Let's examine this. Nigeria is one of the few (I really mean few) countries where the disease called poliomyelitis is still present. Behind India, Nigeria is the second most infected country when it comes to this disease. It's a shame to still be battling with polio in this time and age. Cases of polio have not been recorded in many countries in over two (2) decades and some people in this world don't even know that the disease still exists (not to talk of it being a killer in some countries). And still, an elected public officer, who is serving in the capacity of the Governor of a State (the most populous state in Nigeria) has the audacity, guts and effrontery to stop the immunization of babies against poliomyelitis.

Showing the Polio Infested countries of the world
In my opinion this a crime and it is tantamount to the serial killing of children and it should be punishable. Let's face the fact, there is no pertinent reason to stop immunization and the action that the Governor took is a very insensitive one. He said he is a guidance counselor by profession but his action does not give any inclination that he saw the four walls of a classroom.

But seriously… LET'S KICK POLIO OUT OF NIGERIA! 

1 comment:

  1. chuks give the man a break na.
    i couldnt stand why he stopped the process. the reform he tried to implement could gave taken place without stopping the whole process.

    he atleast gave concrete responses on many other questions.

    ReplyDelete