March 17, 2011

Thank God For The Strike

Have you  realized that it is at the time of adversity that talents and gifts are properly honed? The break out of diseases made Alexander Flemming's star shine brightly, the Second World War made Winston Churchill to bring out his excellent leadership traits and the injury of Jose Bosingwa (a bad moment for Chelsea fans in the 08/09 season)  made Branislav Ivanovic show that he's not just someone who came all the way from Serbia for sight-seeing in London (I don't blame him, Stamford Bridge is beautiful).

Similarly, I have been affected (or infected)  by that principle. Presently, my School has been closed down (the Vice-Chancellor was tired of seeing our faces and our Student Union leaders were feeling homesick) and that has given me the opportunity to sharpen one of my latent gifts - WRITING.

Many Obafemi Awolowo University (O.A.U) students would look at the title of this blog and call me names like "loafing truant with misguided intentions and aimless aspirations" (that was actually what I called those whom were protesting by sleeping on the road). They would ask questions like "How in the devil's vocabulary can you be thanking God for this strike that has sent over 30,000 youths to their houses or even the devils workshop (because of the high rate of pregnancies strikes like this)?"

But seriously, let's consider this issue very well. First of all we are urged to give thanks in all situations by the Bible. Also, this strike is an opportunity for self improvement. As I always say, the school calendar should only affect your education not your learning nor your growth. People see this strike as another avenue to waste time (or to get pregnant), I see it as an avenue to gain time by learning skills that would help me in the outside world. Don't let any day pass by without adding value to your life because, wait for it….BREAKING NEWS: LIFE IS SHORT!!!!

You might be saying that it is not easy to live such kind of disciplined and growth inclined life during strikes like this and I fully agree with you. It's not easy because YOU DON'T HAVE A PLAN!!! I wouldn't like to go much into making plans. I would save it for another time. I hope this is good enough for my first blog post.

but seriously... LET US THANK GOD!

2 comments: